Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sleep Training-Not For the Weak Hearted

I had a friend call me recently in complete desperation.

"How do I get him to sleep?" she begged. "I'll take anything."


Enter my first rule of motherhood and friendship. Don't offer advice unless it is wanted. How many times has a new mother gotten tidbits of unwanted advice? 1.2 million times at Target, Walmart, Babies R Us. Anywhere...woman just freely throw out advice like candy in a parade. And although the thought is nice, eventually the brain of a new mother explodes from all of these unwanted tidbits piling up. You've been there. Don't lie.

If you're still reading this topic may actually interest you so I'll share my advice wanted or unwanted.

This advice is only for when the time is right...When the baby no longer needs the middle of the night feeding (you must decide for yourself when this is.) For me it was 12 weeks, when I went back to work.

Here is what I did:

  • Put him down.
  • Walk away.
  • When he starts crying, don't respond.
  • WALK AWAY.
  • Get out your best headphones, put on your sleep mask. 
  • Dance around your room if you have to.
  • Duct tape yourself to the bed.
  • And if he starts crying...
  • Just don't go in his room.
Call it the cry it out technique, call it the mean parent burgade, call it whatever you want. I prefer to call it Happy Baby because when I started this technique Jack seemed happier the next day. It was like he needed the full 8 hours just like me. This is especially easy if you have a video monitor.

The 8 hour stretches became 10 hour stretches the 10 hour stretches became 12. I'm also a firm advocate of the daily schedule as well.

Babies need us to set the routine...to be the bigger man. To be the parent, not the coddling friend. That's how I got Jack to sleep. I walked away. Was it easy? No, but it was the right thing to do...for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment