5 Ways to Save $8,400:
1. Cable. Have you cut it yet? If not, it's time. Aren't you tired of renegotiating your contract? We've been cable free for 5 years now. We pay $46/month for internet, hulu and netfix.
Savings: $1,080 a year.
2. Only buy necessities. A few weeks ago we watched the documentary "Tiny". It was weird, but the concept of simplifying and buying necessities ONLY WHEN ON SALE is admirable. Necessity list example:
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Dishwasher gel packs
- Laundry detergent
Savings: $844 a year according to our most recent CVS receipt.
3. 401K. If you have it, use it. If you don't, open an IRA. The dollar you put in today is worth more than the dollar you invest tomorrow. This is pre-tax money. You save on the front end and you make on the back end.
Savings: If you get aggressive, you can save $4,500 + a return of $1,260 on money put in this year.
4. Hair & Nails. I get my hair done quarterly now. (I know, it shows). Nails...I've gone natural on the nails and get pedicures in summer only. I miss this...a lot.
5. Starbucks. Just one latte a week adds up.
Total savings: $8,424