Friday, December 14, 2012

An Unspoken Connection Among Mothers

There is a sadness that lingers after tragedy. There is a hole left empty after innocent lives are taken from us. There is a unified front among the good, the people joined in their mission to bring goodness to this world, to not let evil define them, shake them, change their cores.

Bad things happen. They happen every single day, but today...today the depth of one bad act hangs over us like a dark storm cloud. And it's especially relevant to parents united in their mission to keep their children safe. From evil. To keep their children safe.

Tonight, I got in my car and I drove 25 miles and I walked into Jack's daycare and I picked him up and I held him so tightly in my arms I think I may have scared him. I picked him up and I held him so close to my chest it scared him. He threw his head against me to be freed from my grasp, but I held him tighter. And I looked at my daycare person and there was an unspoken understanding as to why I was there an hour early. To pick up my son.

There is an unspoken understanding among mothers. We exist on this earth to protect our children from evil, to get our children from point A to point B, from 6 am to 8 pm. There is an unspoken bond. We not only want to protect our own, we want to protect every baby, every innocent kid. And I'm quite certain we would throw down if we saw another woman's baby in trouble because we would want the same for our own.

Tonight I ache for the mothers. I pray for the mothers. I pray so hard it brings me to tears. Tonight I mourn for those mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment