Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Just When I thought I Had You Figured Out

Loud unexpected sounds. They have always been your weakness. I remember the first time you peed on me, I screamed.



You looked at me intensley, your bottom lip began to quiver and then you gave me "the cry." You know the one that crumbles your heart into a million dust particles. I scooped you up without even putting your diaper on.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry I scared you."



Next came the music. I turned it on a little too loud once and I caught you red faced crying in your swing. Loud unexpected sounds. They scare you.



But Sunday as we were dining at Binkleys and the bar erupted in shouts from a narrow Colts win I looked at you. And you smiled at a loud, unexpected sound. You smiled.


And suddenly my fear that you would never be able to attend a rock concert or your Grandpa's basketball game or any event with a lot of loud commotion disappeared. Loud unexpected sounds. They were once your weakness, but now they're your strength.

Just when I thought I had you figured out...

No comments:

Post a Comment