Thursday, January 17, 2013

Our Last Night Here

This house is quieter than normal. It's calmer. The bass from the car that drove by rattles the windows. I welcome the sound. I invite it in to preoccupy my mind. This house is awfully quiet and calm. Perhaps it's because it's our last night here.

The boxes are stacked in the garage and the furniture is waiting to leap into the moving truck (if only it could actually leap). This is our last night in this house and I'm a little sad.

I'm sad because this master bedroom reminds me of the time I went to visit my mom who was recovering from a surgery to remove a tumor on her spine. I stayed in the hospital with her and got very little sleep. When I got home, I walked upstairs to unpack my bags and go to bed. I opened the door to the bedroom and what I saw brought me to tears. Kyle had redone the master bedroom and the bathroom with crown molding and a chair rail and beautiful chair rail accents. He worked around the clock so he would have it done by the time I got home. He later told me he wanted me to have a calm place to go to relax and put my worried mind at ease. I cried the better portion of that night out of exhaustion and complete contentment.

I'm sad because when I was pregnant I spent hours planning the nursery. Picking the colors and deciding the feel of it. Hours were spent making small decisions for a 10x10 space. Hours. And we brought you home from the hospital to that nursery. It's a very special room even if you constantly hit your head on the dresser because it's so small.

I'm sad because that guest bedroom is one of my favorite rooms in the house...the way the light fills the space during the day. I photographed you in that room from when you were a baby because of the way the light looked on you. I love that room.

I'm sad about the backyard. And the front yard and my garden. And the porch. And the neighbors. I'm really really really going to miss the neighbors. They are such incredible people.

But change is good. It challenges us. It reminds us of what really matters...people. Family. Change is good. And now the doors are open for another family to love and laugh and live in this home. I'm not sad about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment