Saturday, January 5, 2013

In The Early Hours

Sometimes I look at you in your crib late at night and I swear there is a glow around you. I'm sure thousands of mommies across the world see the exact same thing when they look at their sweet babies, but when I look at you in the early hours of the morning, there is a soft glow that surrounds you. It's almost like there is someone there protecting you at night.

You look a bit like this, but brighter.
My mom and dad had three kids. Two girls and a boy. Although I came last, they led me to believe I was still special, that there was no less love separating me from the two kids that came first. I felt important to them, to the world. I felt I could make a difference, that I was, indeed, special. My Mom and Dad did a really good job raising all three of their kids.

And now that I understand the complexities of parenthood, of wanting the very best for your baby, I appreciate their ability to make their last baby feel special.

I have never been a morning person. When you wake up in the morning and see my face and your face completely lights up, that ounce of morning person comes out of me. I scoop you up and scream:

"GOOD MORNING BABY. It's so good to see you today. What shall we have for breakfast? Carrots or peas?"

I hope you answer carrots because truth be told, peas make your diapers absolutely unbearable. When I taste the carrots I understand why you like them. It's funny that a mashed up vegetable can taste so sweet.

Honey, I know you're just a baby, but the glow in your crib in the mornings leads me to believe you're going to do big things in this world. And by big things, I mean you're going to be kind to the kids no one else is kind to. You're going to help strangers and be a nice and gentle soul. That's what matters in life. Be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment