Saturday, November 3, 2012

You Become What You Think About

Yesterday I received an official looking letter in the mail. You know, the kind that makes you say "What did I do? What did I forget to pay?"

As I ripped it open and read the note, I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was from the Court Traffic Violations Bureau.

"This is to inform you that the following case against you has been dismissed. If you have any questions, please call blah blah blah."

Offense: Fail to stop at sign.

The ticket I had been waiting to show up online was void. My offense had been dismissed. This is one of those moments life was thanking me for being kind. One of those times I was paid back for always trying to do the right thing over getting ahead in work and in life.

This was a moment intended for celebration. And that's exactly what I did. I took a hot bath and drank a glass of cold wine and I celebrated the small victory. Because if you don't stop to celebrate life's simple victories, no one else is going to do it for you.

Ever notice you become what you think about?

You're thinking about space and suddenly you're a space ship. You're thinking about fire and suddenly you're on fire.

No, really.

You become what you think about. When you wake up mad at the world, the world finds a way to retaliate against you. It's like those days when you wake up 20 minutes late. You spill an entire cup of hot coffee on your white shirt. You forget to put on deodorant. Your kid pees on you as you're strapping him into his car seat. Everything seems to go wrong.

Instead of stopping and taking a long deep breath, you write off the day. Nothing can possibly go right today so I may as well quit and try again tomorrow.

I get it. I've been there over and over again, but lately I've been making a conscious effort to chuckle in the tough moments and choose to change the way I'm viewing the situation. Sure I'm now covered in hot coffee, but I love the smell of coffee. Yes, being covered in urine is never fun, but I sure am glad my son is peeing because something would be seriously wrong if he wasn't.

If you change the way you view the world, your world may change. I repeat this over and over on the days that seem to get away from me until something goes right and then I hold onto that moment and I celebrate.

 If you don't stop to celebrate life's simple victories, no one else is going to do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment