Friday, November 23, 2012

The Day After Thanksgiving

Jack,

I'm writing you this letter the day after Thanksgiving in the quiet early hours of the morning when the world is obsessing over saving a dime at Black Friday. My gratitude for you is worthy of thanks for all the days that follow Thanksgiving.
You were a surprise. I didn't know it at the time, but you were going to change me in a way I cannot explain to anyone who has not yet experienced having a child. I can say a few words to any mom and she gets it almost instantly, but when I try to tell my kidless friends how I'm different now I can't seem to articulate it.

After a long exhausting day, seeing you renews my spirit. It doesn't matter what happens in life, holding you brings me back to my center, my happy place. I give thanks for you this morning and tomorrow and the next day and all the days to come.

You are my gratitude. You are my heart. My center. I am so deeply thankful for you today, the day after Thanksgiving.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment