Sunday, November 25, 2012

GMOOL

Decisions.

Contemporary or traditional? White or cherry? Light switch or dimmer? Chair height or lower (for the toilet that is).

Making an old home your own is exciting and exhuasting. Today I had a GMOOL moment. We were walking through the light aisle and my brain began to combust. Jack began crying and I joined him in my mind. The red flashing lights in my brain began to ring loudly. I convinced myself that my laser eye surgery was influencing my ability to clearly look at lights.

And it hit me.

I had to Get Out Of Lowes. I gave Kyle the "old tired man in the shoe department look" and he understood instantly.

I had reached my max. I had to get out before I began to hyperventilate. Too many decisions. I needed to regroup. So we left and I feel better now. I can't imagine if we actually had a renovation completion deadline.

This may explain the hives on the bottoms of my feet on Friday. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

See, here's the thing. We're redoing a kitchen and two bathrooms, arguably three of the most important rooms in the home. I'm not taking these decisions lightly. I don't want to walk into the bathroom for the next 20 years and hate the tile I picked out when I was really cranky at Lowes.

If you're redoing a bathroom and feeling overwhelmed by options, here are a few steps that may help:

  • Go to the Tile Shop (That's what it's called- THE TILE SHOP). Walk around and take some pictures on your super smart phone. Decide what you like. You may think you like a style until you see it in the flesh. And suddenly beige doesn't seem so boring. It seems warm and long term and something that may never grow old.
  • Go to Lowes and copy the look of the fancy tile work you just saw at the Tile Shop. Buy three different tile options.
  • Go to new old home and lay them on the floor or wall together. Suddenly the 79 tile options become 3. And the 3 become one. And there you have it...the tile you will surely love for the next 20 years.
Sorry, no pictures, but they will surely come this week after the contractor comes in to do some electrical/plumbing work for us.  


No comments:

Post a Comment