Friday, September 21, 2012

Tonight

Tonight as the hail pounded on a hotel window and our trays of half eaten room service surrounded us, I watched a Grandma hold her Grandson. I watched my mom hold Jack. She thought I was playing on her Ipad, but I was listening to her whisper to him.
"I love you so much, Jack. I love you so much."

And once again he stared deep into her eyes, inside of her, like he knew what she meant to me. Like he knew she was my mother, my blood. Like he knew she was the reason I existed which was the reason he existed. He knew.

"I love you so much, Jack. I love you so much."

She repeated these words until his eyelids grew heavy and he floated away. And in that moment time stopped. I turned the Ipad off and I watched her hold him and whisper to him, her grandson. He looked huge in her arms.

"He's becoming a little boy," I told her.

"It goes so fast, Erin," she said. "And before you know it he'll be getting married."

"I don't want this to end," I said.

 "But look at us now," she replied. "I love the stage we're in now. I love watching you as a mom."

How is it that moms always know the right things to say at the right moment? How is it that when we become moms we need our moms?

Mom, thanks for telling me I'm a good mom. It means more than you will ever know.


No comments:

Post a Comment