Friday, September 28, 2012

Happy Birthday, Becky White

There is a light that shines from deep within certain souls and no matter where they are the room shines a little brighter when they are in it. There is a kindness that lingers long after they are gone. A warmth that hangs around and fills a space.

Happy Birthday, Becky White.


Happy Birthday to you.

I have these images of you holding me when I was a baby smiling so big just like I do when I hold Jack. I can't get it out of my head especially today, on your birthday. If you were here with me I would wrap up all the happy memories you gave me as a child and free them in front of you. If only you could watch these images I have running through my head of you and me when I was three at Winona Lake running free in my red swimsuit and Josh pointing at the ducks and Autumn with her hand on her hip watching over us.

If I could release these memories to you on your birthday I would and we would dance in a cloud of memories.

Happy birthday dear Mom.




Here's the deal, mom. You have given me so much to smile for, to laugh about, to love. You have comforted me in difficult times even though you knew my version of "difficult" was insignificant in the big scale of things. You never made me feel insignificant. You have such a way to piece together the thoughts that dance through my head and make sense of moments that don't always make sense.

On my wedding day, when Dad walked me down the aisle, I saw your face and for a moment I swore you had a glow surrounding you. And I fought back tears because here I was walking with Dad down the isle and all I wanted to do was stop hug you so tight and thank you for standing by me until this day. I wanted to take your hand and have you stand beside me while I said my vows because you were the reason I never gave up on love.



And in this moment, on your birthday, I can't help but hope I can be half the mom you were to me. Half  the mom you still are to me. In this moment, on your birthday I can't help but stare up at the sky and thank God that he picked you to be my mom. Thank God he picked me.

Happy Birthday to you.

The world shines a little brighter on September 28th. And to me you will always be the most beautiful woman on earth.

1 comment: