Monday, January 23, 2012

Manslaughter by Shopping Cart

After several weeks and $160+ worth of savings at CVS, the day had arrived. It was time to tackle the enemy: the big bad grocery store chains. I'm not a fan of failure. In fact, I hate it, but I can't defeat something I don't try. And I can always return to my security blanket of CVS.

The strategy:
Start with two chains known for savings:


Marsh: after a little research I learned Marsh doubles any coupon under 50 cents. You must, of course, have a Fresh Idea card. Here is how I tackled Marsh:

  • I focused all my preparation with only coupons under 50 cents from the Sunday paper or mailers. I was strict with my number one rule of coupons: only clip coupons you actually need. 
  • I made a grocery list of all the coupons I clipped and I sheepishly dropped into a Marsh on a Monday evening. The list made it simple for me to navigate the store collecting my items. 
  • This time I wasn't worried on price of the item, I was focused on the savings. Here was my biggest mistake. Does price matter? Of course it matters if Walmart sells the same item for half the price. Who cares about coupons when you're already overpaying for the item. Pay attention to price.
  • I pull up to the cashier coupons in hand waiting for the moment of truth. Do they really double coupons under 50 cents? Yes, they do. 
  • Original Price: $46.42
  • Coupon Price: $32.52
  • Savings: $13.90 or 30% 
Here is what I walked away with:
Most people would be thrilled with a 30% savings, but after my success with CVS, this coupon game is like crack. I want more. Walmart is up tomorrow and I'm not in the mood to fail.  

***DISCLAIMER: Watch out for innocent bystanders while taking on this challenge. I rammed a woman with my cart and I almost ran over a small child. No amount of savings is worth manslaughter by shopping cart charges.***

No comments:

Post a Comment