Wednesday, January 3, 2018

9 Indie Indy Coffee Shops

This year I'm focused on one thing...

The right here and now.

As study on the psychology of the human mind, I'm taking a 30-day breather from social media. First couple of days of detox were hard, but I made it across the bridge and I feel like I have something I've been missing: time to do the things I love like write, read, watch inspirational documentaries, listen to music. I'm also making an effort to pry myself from the office 2-3 times a week and work from a space where I'm inspired like coffee shops. The sound of milk being frothed and conversations flowing freely has always inspired me.

If you live in Indy and like good coffee, this is for you:

9 Downtown(ish) Coffee Shops Ya Gotta Check Out
Coat Check
WINNER. There’s something special here. Located in the Rathskeller constructed in 1922, this place is AWESOME. It’s like a daytime adventure as you walk up the old stairs and are greeted by warm faces completely passionate about their trade. Vibe is that of a college union. Indiana University to be exact. The butterscotch latte drinks like a milkshake so be prepared for that. The Ginger cappuccino will surprise you. Trying to be open minded, but when it comes to atmosphere it’s going to be hard to top this one. 
Bee Coffee Roasters
The first time I walked into this spot and tasted the Shagedelic, I knew there was something special about this coffee. The shagedelic syrup is made from a tree bark sourced from a man in the middle of the woods. How can you not appreciate sipping on that? The Americano is the best I’ve had, any cappuccino is amazing. Without a doubt, this place is in it for the coffee. They aren’t trying to do anything else but coffee. Atmosphere is just ok, but the taste of their blends makes up for it.
Kaffeine 
Perhaps it’s the ceiling height, maybe the warehouse vibe, but there is a WOW factor when you enter this space. Located off Mass Ave on Fulton Avenue, there’s plenty of parking and plenty of seats. The Spanish Latte is their most popular drink and I see why. A little cinnamon on top goes a long way with the flavor on this. I’m still thinking about it. This place is cool. The baristas are cool. GO.

Calvin Fletchers
The first time we stumbled into this spot in Fletcher Place, it felt like a scene from Fight Club. Based on the window décor, we were expecting an antique shop. But then, coffee. My friend put it best when she said you can have a suit at one table, a person in slippers at the next and a skateboard commuter nearby. The melting pot of people watching is great.  
Thirsty Scholar
The atmosphere here makes up for the lack of parking. It’s so cool on the inside. Think: antiques, cozy benches with cushions. Located at the corner of 10th and Penn, there isn’t a bad view and this place is full of light. I love driving down Penn in the morning and seeing the faces working in the windows. I truly love the atmosphere here. And one time the barista told me he liked my whole outfit. I still carry that compliment with me. See why that matters? Get the chai tea latte. Here's a picture of my brilliant Seattle friend Stacey on her visit to Indy.

Moe Joe’s
I’ve spent a lot of time here working on projects. There are always good conversations free flowing through this space located off Michigan Avenue. Sometimes I catch bits of awesome connected conversations like a group developing a new business which I definitely would invest in if I was Warren Buffet. Half college bookstore, this place will always have space to sit. People are great, atmosphere is great. This will ALWAYS be a favorite for so many reasons.  
Hubbard & Cravens
Drop by the 49th and Penn location at 4 pm on a week night and it’s bustling. Seems to be a nice mix of Butler students, high school students, professionals. They do live music, but I can’t seem to find a schedule for that. If you like people, want good energy, go here. There’s a table by the window. It’s my favorite.  
Moe & Johnny’s
How can you not love this place? Nights spent cozied up watching Butler blaze through the Sweet 16 to final two TWICE. Most people know Moe & Johnny’s for the bar, but the back half is a quaint cute little coffee shop. They recently renovated which made me a little sad, but overall this spot is a nice place to spend a couple hours working. The server seems to know everyone who walks in.  

Tinker Street
This place reminds me a bit of 20 Tap which is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. It has an old school comfortable bar feeling. One problem: the tables are almost always full due to the size of the space. When the patio is open, you may have a better shot here. I don’t remember the coffee mainly because I was thinking about how I didn’t have a place to sit. I’m sure it was good.
Quills
I know, I know. Everyone raves about this spot. It’s cool. Design is awesome, space is accommodating. Drinks are good. I like it, I don’t love it. Is it because it’s new construction? Can’t put my finger on it. Location? Too many man buns? I’m sorry. I want so badly to like it. Maybe I’ll try it again next week. Maybe I’ll like it more. I think I can…    

No comments:

Post a Comment