Sunday, January 7, 2018

4 Books I Couldn't Put Down

It used to just be about lawns. How perfectly manicured can we keep our front lawn so no one notices the cracks in the sidewalk? Social media is the new lawn. And it needs mowed daily or in some cases multiple times a day even when it’s snowing. We never get a break, a season off.  

That’s a lot of pressure. 
That’s a lot of clutter.
That’s a lot of false connection. 
This year I’m taking less pictures, tuning into more genuine moments to connect. I’m sleeping more, eating less junk (delete yesterday), doing the things that make me happy and full like playing too many rounds of Uno while listening to records and explaining to my son why I like this music and how I’m building this collection for him. It feels good. It's like putting on a new pair of glasses with the correct prescription. 
Every time I’m away from my phone, I remember who I am. I see what’s in front of me in that exact moment. 
Speaking of lawns and having more time, here's a book I could not put down...it's about a man who wants everything including his lawn perfect to navigate the deep waters of grief. It reminds me of someone I know...it's a beautiful story for everyone.
And if you love music, try this one:
 Haven't started this one yet, but high hopes here:
Oh, and that second book: The Great Alone. It'll be out this Spring. If you like Alaska and fiction, you'll love this one.
 Happy January. Hope you're appreciating the break and beauty the snow brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment