Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Tubes and An Angry Lung

Jack got tubes this morning. We had to report to the surgery at 7 am. I'm tired so this will be the short version of the day.

He wasn't allowed to eat or drink after midnight. Hungry baby=cranky baby. Cranky baby being pulled from the arms of his parents before taken into an unknown room to be put under by some people he doesn't know=really crank baby.

I could hear him screaming from the waiting room. Not my favorite moment of the day.

Surgery was fast. Before I could finish a cup of coffee we were in the consultation room with the doctor. Tubes went great, but the scope showed evidence of an angry lung.

After a few more minutes in the consultation room the nurse came to get us. I could hear a baby screaming once again, but this time it was followed by a deep seal-like cough. GREAT.

I took him in my arms. His eyes were still closed and he was very disoriented. I know this is common, I know this has happened 1,000,000 times before, but it didn't make it any easier staring down at my confused child with his eyes closed screaming and coughing like a seal. Nope, didn't make it any easier.

The nurse told me 50 things, but I didn't hear any of them. I. Just. Wanted. Out. Pretty sure they wanted us out too. No one wants to head into surgery after a screaming baby comes out. No one. They took us out the back door.

I felt calm as soon as we got in the car. Jack was still confused and visibly upset. As soon as I got him home I tried to feed him. He wasn't interested. He took an hour nap, woke up, ate, took a two hour nap, woke up and took another two hour nap. When he finally woke up from that nap he had a fever of 101.4. Of course I freaked out and gave him motrin which brought him back to....JACK. By 4 pm he finally seemed normal again. We took an hour long walk which we both needed, played, read and went down for the night. He's woke up a few times coughing. Not sure what to make of that. Can't say I'd like to do this day over again, but I'm looking forward to his ears feeling better.

Now, we need to see about that angry lung.

No comments:

Post a Comment