Monday, October 7, 2013

I'm Bored with this Debate, but I have to...

There are few things in life, you simply can't put a price on. The health of my kid is one of those things. When a doctor recommends tubes, we're going to get the tubes.

But at what cost?

This is the question I recently asked me ENT, surgery center and anesthesiologist involved in this 15 minute simple procedure.

How much is this going to cost us?

I have to give my ENT props. They had answers. After my $516.18 deductible was met, insurance would pay at 85% leaving me with a $75 doctor bill on top of the $516.18 deductible. Ok, I can manage that.

But the problem (you knew there would be one) happened when I called the surgery center who said I would owe $2,020 AFTER insurance. Ok, something isn't adding up. Is a 15 minute surgery $11,000? Say it ain't so. After a phone call to the insurance company, it became clear. The surgery center entered my deductible as $3,000.

Had we waited for the bills (like most Americans) we would have owed $2,100 versus $315 due to a clerical error.

Where does the anesthesiologist come into play with all this? I don't know...I couldn't get a name. Sad, huh?

There are few things in life, you simply can't put a price on, but you can sure as heck demand the facts especially when it applies to your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment