Monday, April 15, 2013

12.14.12

12.14.12. That's the last time we had a talk like this. It was the day a young man walked into an elementary and shot 26 children and 6 adults. It was a day people across the country congregated in break rooms, lobbies and living rooms to watch the story unfold. It haunted me for months...the coverage. The faces of the children plastered all over the news. The face of the shooter, ghost-like and so inhumane. I just didn't understand it.

But not this time. It's not going to go like that this time.

This time I walked into daycare and I scooped you from your play corner and I pulled you tight into my chest. As we walked to the car I told you this:

"There are very bad people in this world. We have to pray for the bad people. Pray they won't hurt anymore people, but we can't give them our attention because it makes them stronger.  We can pray for them, but we can't devote our energy to them."

So tonight as you quickly fall asleep I'll say a prayer that the bad people will stay far away from our family. God forbid something one day happens, we will be among the good, we will reach our hand to the hurting and we will help.

Love to Boston. I'm so sorry for your loss of security. Of trust. Of loved ones, but the real story is about the runners who crossed the finish line and kept on running to the hospital to give blood. That's the story I'll share with my son one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment