Monday, April 8, 2013

I Still Believe


I grew up in church
I respect religion
But that doesn’t make my God any better than your God
I believe in people
Making decisions for themselves
Unless that involves picking up a handgun
And killing people
With that gun
I don’t believe in people who kill people
With guns
I believe in faith
Of human race
Until you hurt my family
I believe in hope
For my one-year-old
Who knows only
What we tell him
Who believes only what he sees
Who says hi to strangers on the street
Because he has placed every breathing human
As equal
I believe in learning from our children
As much as we teach them
I believe in freedom
To be equal but different 
In love, work, race, religion, class and health
I still believe
The world can be cruel
If you choose to take that view
Or the world can be kind
If you choose to make it that way
I still believe
After 30 years
In the goodness of people
Even after they disappoint me
I still believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment