Sunday, February 10, 2013

Smile, smile, smile

Today I pulled you into my arms and I rocked you in the middle of the afternoon. I gave you a bottle and I held you so tight and I rocked you back and forth and back and forth. You weren't feeling 100% and you welcomed the warmth of being tucked away in your mother's arms.

I looked down at you surprised by your size in my arms. Like you had grown over night. Like I blinked my eyes and I don't know what happened to the last 10 months. I rocked you back and forth as your little feet hung off the chair. You stared into my eyes and I stared into yours and every once and a while I smiled at you to get a reaction. You smiled every so faintly to tell me you were ok, that you may not be feeling like yourself, but you were still my sweet little boy.

We sat like that for what seemed like two hours rocking back and forth and back and forth until you eventually slithered out of my arms because your toy began lighting up as if it were calling to you. You looked back at me to see if I was ok without you buried in my arms like that.

I smiled giving your permission to play. It's almost like you understand how much I need you like I understand how much you need me. I need you, but I want you to grow up and most importantly I want you to be happy. You can do anything with your life as long as you're happy.

Give More.
Expect Less.
Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment