Sunday, February 3, 2013

No Sew Ottoman Slip Covers

If you like fun fabric, but don't know your way around a sewing machine (like me), here is a great simple way to spruce up your old ottomans.

Ingredients and cost:
  • 3 yards of fabric-$21
  • 1 tube of Liquid Stitch-$1.59
  • 1 roll of burlap ribbon-$3 (half off at Hobby Lobby)
  • 8 old earrings
  • 2 old square ottomans
  • Painters tape-on hand
  • Time spent on project: 75 minutes (minus the time it took the liquid stitch to dry)

1. Step 1-Pray you bought enough fabric to cover two square ottomans.
 2. Cut fabric.
 3. Celebrate the fact you miraculously bought enough fabric for the project.
 4. Get rid of excess corner fabric. I used the eyeball technique and some painters tape as a guideline. If you're a perfectionist you should measure.
 5. Examine ottomans and come up with a plan. I went with the pleated corners technique.
 6. "Hem" the edges. This time I used fabric glue.  Seriously? This stuff exists? It's amazing.
 7. Here is what it looks like. It's called liquid stitch.
 8. I ran it along the edge of the fabric and I folded and pressed. So easy.
 9. Let dry. Direction said 24 hour. I made it 3. So this is why it's not the greatest invention, but it's still great.
10. Cover ottoman. Pleat corners and pin. I didn't have any pins on hand (I'm not a seamstress) so I used some old earrings. They worked surprisingly well.

11. Add detail ribbon. I chose a burlap ribbon in yellow.

 

Before and after.

 We're almost there.
 Another before/after shot.



7 comments:

  1. Love the slip covers! What are the measurements of your ottomans? And did you use cotton fabric? I have 2 square ottomans that are 18"x18" and i'm not sure if 45" cotton fabric will work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out nice! Ran across your blog while looking for an easier way to reupholster my ottoman for like the 3rd time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I am planning on using two old fabric curtain panels to recover a few cubes that need a little love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing more rewarding than upcycling! Send me a picture.

      Delete
  4. Using old too sheets for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE you for this! I really need to learn how to use a sewing machine. But until then.. THANK YOUUU for this! These are adorable! And now my room will also be adorable!

    ReplyDelete