Sunday, May 12, 2013

On Mother's Day

If I add all the days that came before you up and multiple them by two, it still doesn't come close to describing the depth of my love for you.

If I could explain the pain I felt the day you got your first ear infection or tooth or bruise from your first fall when you trusted yourself to take your very first unsupported steps, it wouldn't come close to the way I actually felt pain in my chest like my heart may literally break like if you cried for 30 more seconds I may actually start feeling the pain you felt. I still believe in the connection we made while you formed inside of me.
You won't ever truly grasp experience of being a mother, but some day you may get to be a father and as you hold your precious baby on that first fright-filled night in the hospital, I hope it hits you, how much we love you. I hope that is the day you comprehend the depth, the pain (the good pain), the indescribable way you are humbled when you hand your life over to another person.

Because parenthood is the equivalent of your heart walking around outside of your body.
Be kind to yourself.
Be kind to the people around you.
Be kind to your mother.  

Thank you for this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment