Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pick Your Lullaby Wisely

When I was pregnant I used to run a bath and sink down under the water and talk to the baby. I would tell the baby how much I couldn't wait to meet him or her. I would say a few things about his or her nursery and I sang the song "Hush Little Baby" because it was the only lullaby I knew at the time. I'm sure I got the words wrong, but I rubbed my huge belly and I sang to my unborn child just because it felt like the right thing to do.

Fast forward present day. Occasionally Jack will have a good hard cry, the kind of cry that breaks your heart into a thousand tiny pieces. And I pull him close to my chest and I sing "Hush Little Baby" and without fail, every single time he calms down.  Every single time. I have tried other lullabies like "You Are My Sunshine" or "Blackbird" by the Beatles, but they don't do the trick. The only one that works is the one I sang to him when he was in my belly.
Life is so darn fascinating. It's too bad I hate the lyrics of "Hush Little Baby". Pick your song wisely, my pregnant friends.


Hush, little baby, don't say a word.
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring 
And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass 



No comments:

Post a Comment