Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Night Before Kindergarten

Tomorrow you start school.

My brain is bouncing between feeling unprepared and feeling even more unprepared. The closest I can get to this feeling is when I was waiting to meet you. I had everything checked off the list, but there was this lingering "how am I going to do this" feeling.

I did it. We did it.

How are we going to do this?

I'm sure the morning will be calm (HA). You'll be cranky per usual morning routine. I will try to act excited and unemotional. You seem to thrive on not making it a big deal so I'll continue to say it's not a big deal. You've done all these things before. Thank God for daycare.

I'll turn in your paperwork. Inevitably, I'll forget something. I'll try to forgive myself.

I have this image of you walking into your classroom for the very first time alone. I picture your tiny tennis shoes and your confident shoulders strutting down the hallway and into that classroom with ease and a dash of shyness. You'll sit at your table. You'll do what your told. You'll respect the rules and boundaries. You'll be a good student. I know you will, but this feels like I'm letting a piece of us go. It's a good piece...a necessary piece.

You're going to own kindergarten and I'll be standing there on the curb as your biggest fan tied for first with your father.

1 comment:

  1. It happened just like this for me 30 years ago and I'm standing on the curb still your biggest fan. But now I'm tied for first with your dad, Kyle, Jack, family, friends, coworkers . . .

    ReplyDelete