Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Nothing Good Gets Away

Tonight as I was rocking you, it hit me...just how much life you have ahead of you.

It hit me that you still have to learn how to tie your shoes and zip up your jacket.

It hit me that you still get to feel that excitement mixed with nerves before your very first day of school.

It hit me that you still get to try hundreds of new foods for the first time and see hundreds of places for the first time and hear hundreds of new songs for the first time.

"Can we turn the Beatles on?" you asked at dinner tonight.

"The needle scratching the record is one of my favorite sounds," I told you.

"Mine too," you said before running outside to play in the sprinkler.

It hit me that one day you would experience the heartache of losing a dog. And we know Myles is getting close. I can hear his labored breathing as I write this.

It hit me that you would still get the butterflies during your first real crush and experience the pain when she maybe decides she doesn't like you back.

It hit me you still don't know how it feels to lose another human being when it is their time to depart this earth.

And just as Steinbeck wrote on November 10, 1958 to his son many years ago:

"...Don't worry about losing. If it is right, it happens-The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment