Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Sky Tonight

There was a night many many years ago a storm struck and we had to go inside. We watched the trees thrash in the wind and the lightning strike the ground and before we knew it, it was over. The sky turned this incredible shade of orange and purple and it felt like the day was starting all over at 9:30 at night. And so we ran outside without shoes on and we collected worms because that was the cool thing to do when you were 10-years-old and too young to realize collecting worms was for boys.

Tonight is a night like that and although 20 years have passed I still remember what it felt like to run through the puddles scooping up disgusting worms and acting brave. I'm not 10 anymore, but I feel like the next 10 years may be full of worm collecting. I know I'm a "parent" now, but does that give me permission to still be a kid sometimes?

Jack has his entire life ahead of him. He has years of asking what's and why's and how's until he thinks he has it figured out and then realizes he has nothing truly figured out. Man, that's cool. That little boy sleeping in the swing inside has an entire lifetime ahead of him and it's just beginning. I kinda feel like my life just started too.

Perhaps I'll go collect a worm or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment