Saturday, July 7, 2012

Life is made up of beginnings and endings. Friendships begin and they end. Jobs begin and they end. School begins and ends. And unfortunately great vacations to tropical destinations begin and they end. The ending is often sad and if you're like me, you need to rapidly move on to the next thing to fill the void.

Parenthood is the exception to that rule. It is the beginning that never really has an ending. And there is something refreshingly beautiful about it. I can't recall a time in life I have been so content with a beginning without an ending. Jack's beginning was difficult. It was full of fear and the unknown and emotional exhaustion, but as I sit in the rocker and watch him drift away as the sun sets in his nursery, those scary moments of him in the NICU seem like a distant dream. 

He is such a happy, content little person which makes me a happy, content mom. Sometimes I question if I'm doing it right. Should I follow a stricter routine? Should I put him to bed at the same time every night? Should I buy the newest book on the market? When I fall into that pattern of doubt, I hold him in my arms and smile because I know what we are doing is right for him. And for us. And it may not work for the woman down the block. And it may not work for my friend's friend's friend of a baby, but it works for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment