Sunday, January 25, 2015

Paleo for The Pre-School Chef


Paleo...I've always been a little anti fad diet, but this one intrigued me mainly because my weakness has always been carbs (and cheese) (and sugar). I'm in my 4th week now and I'm feeling great. It wasn't always this easy...

Week one-I hope no one looks at me wrong because I may snap. Bread. I just want bread. Chocolate. I would eat bread and chocolate and cheese together if you put it in front of me right now. I hate just about everything right now. I have a headache. Don’t talk to me.

Week two-I think I’m through the detox phase. I’m starting to get excited about all of these Pinterest recipes. I swore I’d never be a “pinterest person”, but I am a Pinterest Paleo Freak of a Person now. 

I have always hated grocery shopping mainly because of all the options. Paleo has made this process easier. 

Here is my Paleo Grocery List:
  • Cashews
  • Almonds
  • Avocados 
  • Cauliflower-(2-3 heads-organic)
  • Spring mix lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Kale
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Celery
  • Green beans
  • Carrots
  • Mushrooms
  • Organic Chicken (this means GMO free)
  • Frozen mangoes
  • Bananas
  • Eggs
Here are my favorite EASY recipes:
Banana Ice Cream:
  • Slice 3 bananas into thick slices
  • Place on tray in freezer for 2 hours
  • Toss into blender and blend until it looks like this:


Cauliflower Rice-
o   Chop a cauliflower head.
o   Toss in food processor
o   Sauté on high heat with olive or sesame oil. It tastes just like rice, I swear.
Cauliflower Mash-
o   Steam cauliflower
o   Toss in food processor (with excess water from steaming).
o   Add a dash of sea salt.
Apple Glazed Chicken-
o   Put a couple chicken breasts in crock pot.
o   Coat in honey.
o   Juice 3-4 apples, pour over chicken.
o   Add one juiced lemon.
o   Add amino acids (if you have it handy).
o   Cook on low for 3 hours and shred.

One thing I’ve learned about this plan is I’m nuts, but also the importance of keeping actual nuts handy for energy. Raw cashews are my favorite. Second in line: raw almonds. And then pistachios. I’ve also picked up the ball jar salad trick and I’m impressed with the freshness.
Sweet tooth like me? Try this:
o   Chocolate chip peanut butter cookies
o   ½ C. almond meal/flour
o   1 scoop of peanut butter (smaller is better)
o   A dash of Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
o   A little Honey
o   A little Maple syrup
o   Cinnamon
o   1 Tsp vanilla
o   A little coconut sugar
o   1 egg (you can sub water)


No comments:

Post a Comment