Monday, January 13, 2014

Just a Bunch of Do-Gooders

On my constant quest to be better, I am surrounded by people doing more...by people being better. I come across it multiple times a day. So many of these people get little recognition for their accomplishments of just being a good person.

There's no real reward for that, but these people, these genuine do-gooders wouldn't accept an award. They would pay it forward.

Like James...our maintenance man who held the door every day with a smile and would knock down walls if he knew you needed him. He wouldn't let us throw a going away party because he didn't want the recognition. He quietly said goodbye as he entered retirement. James is a do-gooder...a genuine, make you smile from the inside kind of person. I miss him.

And my co-worker who helps at a center for disabled adults. She taught me not to see the disability, but to love the person inside. She didn't teach me this through words, she taught me through action. She's a do-gooder.

And my neighbor who is constantly pulling our recycle bin to the garage or quietly shoveling our front porch or running out to help me carry the groceries when he knows I have a toddler inside. He is a do-gooder.

We are surrounded by them...just a bunch of do-gooders who keep making the world better one small gesture at a time. Gosh, we're lucky to have them around.

No comments:

Post a Comment