Friday, October 5, 2012

The Night Your Dad Proposed

The night your dad proposed, he was pacing. We were getting ready for our first annual New Year's Eve party and your dad was nervous. I blamed his odd behavior on the fact we were packing an 1900 square foot house with 25 of friends who intended to stay the night. I had no idea, not a clue, not an ounce of a feeling of what that night would become, one of my happiest out of body mind blowing moments. I had no idea he was going to propose.

Just before the ball dropped he delivered a speech (also out of character) and he dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him. And what I remember more than the words or the beautiful ring or the room gasping and shouting and cheering was the look in his eyes. I stared deep into those eyes because I wanted to know he wanted this as much as I did. I wanted to know he was doing this for us not for me. As I floated outside of my body staring down at us what did I see in those eyes?


I saw the sweetest most sincere most kind man asking me to be his best friend for life. And I have no idea what happened next, but I knew by those eyes that it was me and him for life. I knew by those eyes just like I knew he meant it the first time he told me he loved me.

Tonight we were saying how incredibly cute you are when you look up at us during bath time and smile so big seeking our approval for splashing. We were talking about how amazing you are and I saw that look in his eyes, Jack. I saw the sweetest most sincere most kind man talking about his son, the second love of his life.

You have his eyes.


1 comment:

  1. this is it. the reason, you know? (this post is beautiful.)

    ReplyDelete