Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I Can Promise You Adventure

You won't always have dinner on the table or perfectly folded newly cleaned shorts lining your dresser or matching socks.

You won't always have the best cookies in class or the most creative Valentine's cards or perfectly parted hair or perfectly pressed pants.

You may not have the things the other kids have...the games or bracelets or phones whatever thing is popular that week.

But, sweetie, I can promise you adventures.

I can promise you the spontaneity of hopping on a bicycle just before the sunsets to feed the ducks (but not the geese because they are plotting to take over the world).

I can promise you tag in the backyard and hikes in the middle of the woods.

I can promise you conversations with the stars and the moon.

I can promise you trips we've never taken and places we've never seen and books we've never read and food we've never tasted (if you ever get up to trying new foods).

I can promise you swimming anytime a pool is near and painting anytime you want to create and listening to music all the time.

I can promise you I'll be there anytime you want to kick a ball around or throw a baseball or toss a fishing line in a pond or play an instrument.

I can promise you I'll be present for your first sporting event or band concert or play or chess tournament. I can promise to support who you are...whoever that is and to love you freely and openly and without apology (even when you're too cool).

I can't promise you the things the books tell me I should be doing, but I can promise you adventure.    

No comments:

Post a Comment