Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Today

My right knee is throbbing. My left hip is popping. I have a headache and my sports bra is cutting into my neck. I want to look at my watch, but I know what that means. I'll be disappointed with how much time is left on the clock. I am tired. It's only Tuesday. There are a thousand things I'd rather be doing and my goal today is 6 miles. 

I make my usual left to cross the bridge. I pass several shirtless runners who are very clearly on an endorphin high with perfect strides. My legs feel like a ton of bricks pounding on pavement. 

Today is not my day.

I reach the point I usually turn around. It's painful to pass it especially today. Suddenly I'm on uncharted territory, a place I've never been before. The river flows quietly. There are beautiful bridges connecting me back to the city streets. It's so quiet I can almost hear the thoughts dashing through my brain. 

There are now rivers on both sides of me. It feels like I'm running on the water. And then it happens. Runner's high. I am flying. My right knee still throbs, my left hip pops, but the headache is gone. I am floating down a river. It is absolutely beautiful. 

Today is my day. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment